Peter Steele, the deep-voiced singer, songwriter and bassist for Brooklyn’s goth-metal outfit Type O Negative, has passed away at the age of 48. In an e-mail to CBS News, the band’s manager Mike Renault confirmed Steele’s death, writing “Peter passed away last night. As of now it appears to have been heart failure. That’s all the details we have right now.” Steele was rumored to have been ill in the days leading up to his death, Blabbermouth reports.
News of Steele’s death was initially received with disbelief as Steele pulled a hoax in 2005, posting his picture and the years “1962-2005″ on the group’s official website. Soon after, Steele all but disappeared as he battled drug problems and a prison stint. But today as members of Steele’s circle began to confirm his passing, the Type O Negative message boards opened this morning with the message, “Please play nice and expect statements from the band and family later today. Thank you for your understanding and support.”
Type O Negative became one of the most unlikely bands to break into the mainstream in the 1990s with their third album Bloody Kisses, which became the first album released by Roadrunner Records to go platinum. The album boasted rock radio hits “Christian Woman,” a cover of Seals & Crofts’ “Summer Breeze” and the Beavis & Butthead-approved “Black No. 1.” (”These guys are like a cross between Danzig and Megadeth,” Beavis said at the time.) The 6′ 7″ singer recorded seven albums with Type O Negative, the most recent being 2007’s Dead Again, which entered the Billboard 200 at Number 27, the band’s best debut.
“RIP Pete Steele – a nice (and very funny) man,” Trent Reznor wrote on his Twitter page. “I’m smiling recalling a funny story involving Pete, a microphone, an all-girl lipstick-lesbian band and a can of tuna. Ahh, the good old days…”
*Funny thing is...I remember watching that Springer episode when I was 14 or 15. I had to stop flipping through channels and watch this long-dark-haired, deep-voiced Vampiric Adonis for the full show. It wasn't until the following year that I would hear the album Bloody Kisses for the first time. While I liked it(and had Black No1 dedicated to me by the boy I lost my virginity to *aw*) I wasn't drawn to the band the way I am currently until I heard October Rust around 2000. Wolfmoon quickly became my absolute favorite song of theirs with its eerie keyboard and ominous guitar and bassline coupled with the drums and Peter's voice.
There are probably a lot of people that don't realize just how much I liked Type O Negative. I was never just a casual listener. Peter Steele's deep baritone touched my in-most soul and his music is the very reason I even started exploring the Goth sub-culture. His death is a loss that I'm taking very heavily, right now. I love Type O Negative and there's not one album or song that I dislike. Unlike mainstream musicians Peter's music is real it is beautiful. There's an honestly about TON's music that I love like no other band.
There's never been an album of theirs they I actively dislike. Hell, not even a song. I thought I was gonna get to see them next time they came through Numbers in Houston. I guess next ime ain't comin', huh Pete?
Fare ye well silken-voiced, bat-winged angel. The world has truly lost one of her greatest talents in you, Petrus Ratajczyk. Already the world mourns you.
Hail Petrus!
Hail Vinnland!
Hail Type O Negative!
Peace be upon you on your journey to the next stage, if there is one, and what ever Gods there be keep you safe.
I will miss your dark, self-depricating humor, your quick wit and your sarcasm. I will miss the music you have yet to make and the concerts I didn't get to see. I will miss you.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more.
Goodnight sweet Prince.


















No comments:
Post a Comment