A while back I started a cat doll which I still haven't finished. I wanted to base it on some olde photos of my cat that died a few yers ago at the age of 10. I'm not good at likenesses....at all. Anyway, some pix of the progress and the current state of things.
First set(on my silly faerie purse with bad lighting!):
Bad pix and even worse symmetry, geez. :-p I can see so much that's off just from pix even from a bad angle. That's what practice is for.
Second set: Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Penelope.
I decided that the ears didn't look right so I broke them off and redid them.
I can't quit screwing with this damn head.
I broke these ears back off and started really sanding away at the head underneath to even out the symmetry. No pix of that, yet. I've decided that I really like the look of the batty ears, so I'm keeping them. I've evened those out a lot and they look similar, now(no pix of that, yet either). I'm not going to worry so much about whether it looks like my olde cat. I'll just give it a flame point siamese paint job when I'm happy with all of it. I may just attach the ears with a balljoint or magnets so that they are posable. Gonna have to think on that. I've found a few sites with tiny glass and acrylic eyes in the right color.
Jacques Cousteau, you were the best cat ever. I still have the claw marks on my New Rocks from that one time I caught you sharpening on them. Who would've thought that I would treasure them in your absence as I treasured your company through the years? Rest well, faithful friend.
I'm also working on making some ball jointed hands for my Unoa. Not nearly finished with them, but a few random WIP pix. All I did was laid out the palm shape, let it firm up a bit, stick the wires in(18g, IIRC) and let it cure completely. It is a bit tricky keeping the wires from sticking, I had to pry them out with my needle nose pliers. Then put then back in, lay another layer of apoxie on the top, let it cure and pull the wires out. I thought I had pix of doing the fingers, but I don't. All you have to do is wrap the wires in some apoxie, let it cure and pull the wires out. After everything was cured I took a small drill in my pinvise(slightly bigger than the wires) and widened the holes. I need to redo the thumb part since the current placement looks weird and not anatomical at all.
More soonish, but probably after the holidays. It's not as hard this second year with Grandma gone as it was last year, but it still sucks. You think, in your arrogance as a human, that you will live forever and then the people in your life start to disappear. You recognise the cold hand of mortality on everything you see.
Humbug.
Monday, December 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment